Last Updated: June 6th, 2018
With its high concentration of skyscrapers, malls, condominiums, and crowded streets, Makati is probably the last place you’d think to find a piece of our storied past. Well, it’s time to rethink that notion. Home to some of the county’s beautiful post-war architecture, Makati also houses two historical edifices recognized by the National Historical Cultural Commission of the Philippines and a Baroque-style parish in the heart of Forbes Park.
1. Guadalupe Church
Arguably one of the most recognized church in this list, Guadalupe Church was first built with stone in 1629. The stones used for its construction was sourced from the mountains of Guadalupe itself.
The exteriors and interiors of Guadalupe Church have touches of both Baroque and Neo-Romanesque-Gothic style of architecture.
Having survived the occupation of the British forces in 1762, it has also withstood the earthquakes that struck Manila in 1645, 1658, 1754, and 1863. It’s also said that both the church and its monastery were occupied by Filipino revolutionaries during the Philippine-American War, and later by the American forces, and the Japanese Imperial Army.
2. San Pedro Macati Church
Located in front of Plaza Cristo Rey in Poblacion Makati , San Pedro Macati Church was constructed by the Jesuits and completed in 1620. It was built under the supervision of Rev. Pedro de los Montes and stands on the land donated by Spanish Alferez General Capitan Pedro de Brito and his wife, Doña Ana de Herrera.
Like most churches in the country, San Pedro Macati incorporates baroque architectural style in its design.
During the British occupation of Manila in 1762, this historical edifice was badly damaged as with other churches in Manila. It has since undergone multiple restoration and redesign since it was first constructed, but most of its original features are still found in its retablo and bells.
3. Santuario de San Antonio
Built in 1953, Santuario de San Antonio located along the road that now connects two of Ayala’s premier financial districts was one of the earliest structures built in the border of Makati and Taguig. With its Baroque architectural style, Santuario de San Antonio closely resembles similarly designed Catholic churches including the St. Dominic’s Church in Macau and the Church of the Gesù in Rome.
The church also houses two murals done by Fernando Amorsolo that is attributed to Giotto di Bondone (commonly referred to as Giotto) in the Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi, Italy. The murals were commissioned even before the church was built in 1953.
The Manila Project
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram