Last Updated: September 4th, 2017
If there’s any building that closely resembles the all-glass facade of Zuellig Building along Makati Avenue, the first thing that comes to mind is the BDO Corporate Center in the heart of Ortigas Center. Seemingly rising from the ground up, this office tower is hard to miss if you commute every day from North to South.
1. Located at the corner of ADB Avenue and Julia Vargas Street, the tower is part of BDO and SM Keppel Land, Inc.’s “grand development plan” for the 2-hectare property. BDO confirmed that the plan includes the expansion of The Podium, a second office tower, and another building with hotel and service apartments.
2. BDO Corporate Center was designed by Arquitectonica, the same firm behind the American Airlines Arena in Miami.
Arquitectonica is an international architectural firm headquartered in Miami, Florida. The firm has completed a number of projects together with the SM Group, this includes the master plan for the SM Bay City District, SM Mall of Asia, Mall of Asia Arena, SM Aura Premier, and SM Seaside City Cebu among others.
The firm is known for its sophisticated surface patterns and facade articulation and has become famous for its signature style and expressive “high tech” modernism.
Internationally, Arquitectonica is also behind the design of The Longemont Shanghai, Marriott Hotel in Lima, Peru, Orchard Scotts Hotel & Residences in Singapore, Tempo Scan Tower in Jakarta, Auditorium de Dijon in Dijon, France, and The Gate Shams in Abu Dhabi among others.
3. Among the prominent features of the 47-storey building include its transparent curtain walls, vertical metal panels, and silver stripes.
4. The estimated cost for its construction is Php 2 Billion.
5. Needless to say, it is named after Banco de Oro, the Philippines’ largest bank in terms of assets (as of December 2016).
Banco de Oro started off as a small thrift bank called Acme Savings Bank in 1968 before it was acquired by Henry Sy.
When BDO became a universal bank in 1996, it was renamed to Banco de Oro Universal Bank (BDO Unibank) and ended up acquiring other banks including Equitable PCI Bank and Deutsche Bank Philippines.
6. Although named after Banco de Oro, the bank only occupies two-thirds of the building. The bank’s headquarters still remains in BDO Equitable Tower along Paseo de Roxas in Makati.
7. BDO Corporate Center was recognized as the Best Commercial Development, Best Office Development, and Best Office Architectural Design during the 2015 Philippine Property Awards.
– The Manila Project
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram: @themanilaproject