Tucked in a nondescript location beside Adamson University, the centuries-old Saint Vincent de Paul Parish in Manila continues to stand to this day. While it now features a more modern look and feel, its original iteration was first built in the 19th century and has since been renovated and restored over the years.
1. The first iteration of this church built in 1883 and was used as the Parish church of Paco, Manila from 1898 to 1909.
2. Its second iteration was built in 1912–using concrete–to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of the Vincentians and Sisters of Charity in the Philippines.
3. In 2010, the church was totally renovated owing to its now-modern look and feel.
4. Its design reflects Neo-Romanesque architectural style that features wide and rounded arches, short and wide columns, and pointed towers.
Neo-Romanesque (or Romanesque Revival), is an architectural style that began in the mid 19th century, which drew inspiration from the 11th- and 12th- century Romanesque architecture.
Among famous structures that employ this type of architectural design include the Manila Cathedral in Intramuros, the Vasa Church in Sweden, Puck Building in New York, the Ontario Legislative Building in Canada, and the Vajdahunyad Castle in Hungary.
5. It is also popularly called as Adamson Church or San Marcelino Church since it’s located along San Marcelino Street and right beside Adamson University.
6. An image of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal is enshrined in the church’s main altar.
7. Deviating from most churches that features retablo altars, its main altar fittingly features the design of the miraculous medal.
8. Like many other structures in Manila, the church was badly damaged during the Battle of Manila in 1945. According to accounts, the Japanese Imperial Army–realizing that they were going to be defeated by the Americans–burned the interiors of the church.
9. A historical marker was installed by the Philippine Historical Research and Markers Committee (now the National Historical Commission of the Philippines) in 1935 in its main entrance.
The Manila Project
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram
- National Historical Commission of the Philippines
- Other news articles